Saturday, June 25, 2011

Slimy Veins Tutorial

I really like the overall feel of Fantasy Flight's Mansions of Madness. However, one of the problems I ran into was the giant gap on the seam of the Chthonian figures right where they glue the head to the body. I forgot to take pictures before I started working, so here is a about where your seam will be:

This was probably my least favorite sculpt, while the wrinkles in the body are interesting the body is so big that it just seemed repetitive and boring to me. So I decided to try and make it a bit more interesting by breaking up the wrinkles with a few veins. First I filled the huge gap with a little green stuff. Next I primed it and then I painted the little abomination with my base color and a bit of wash. After that I used this vein technique to make him appear both slimy and veiny.

To show how this works I'm using the back of a CD case as a working surface.


All you need to do this is some Liquitex Gloss Heavy Gel and a finger.




Smear the gel medium as thick or as thin as you like. I coated the entire shaft of the Chthonian's body with a semi-thick coating of gel.




Next press your finger to the gel ....




...Pull it up and...




..that's it! 




You basically use your finger like a stamp to create the veiny little peaks in the gel medium.
After the gel dries over night it becomes clear and very glossy.


 I dry brushed the veins with a lighter color and added a second coating of Liquitex Gloss Heavy Gel to the shaft to keep everything glossy and help make the worm look slimy. 



For gross slimy horrors like these I think using contrasting levels of glossiness is a good way to give them character. I made the inside of the tentacle mouth and the body high gloss while the tentacles themselves are just slightly glossy.

2 comments:

  1. Very good tip! Gonna go get some of this gel. Any guesses if the Super Heavy Gel can work the same way?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep. Like it. Great effect. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete